There are many legends and songs about Robin Hood. The legends say
that he and his three hundred men lived in Sherwood Forest, not far from the
town of Nottingham. His men dressed in green and were good at shooting
with bows and arrows.
Robin Hood and his merry men attacked and robbed the rich and
helped the poor as much as they could.
More than once the Sheriff of Nottingham tried to catch Robin and
his merry men, but he couldn’t. Robin always fooled his enemies.
Once Robin played a trick on one of the Sheriff’s men whom he met in
the forest. The man had orders to arrest Robin Hood. But he did not know
who he was talking to. “Help me to fi nd Robin,” he said to Robin Hood, “and I shall give you half the money that I’ll get for his head.” “All right,” said Robin, “let’s go to
Nottingham. We shall find Robin Hood there. I know him, and I’ll help you to catch him.” When they came to the town, Robin gave the man so much drink that he fell asleep. After that Robin walked off, and the man had to pay the bill.
Some time after, Robin and his friends came to Nottingham to take part in a shooting contest held there by the Sheriff. The prize, an arrow of gold, was for the best shot. Robin, who was dressed like a beggar, won the prize. The next evening as the Sheriff was going to bed, an arrow with a letter on it suddenly whistled through the open window of his bedroom. The Sheriff read, “Thank you for the golden arrow. It was a good prize for my shooting. Robin Hood.”
Complete the statements correctly.
Robin Hood and his merry men lived in the forest as robbers.
Robin Hood and his merry men attacked the rich and the help the poor as much they could.
Once Robin Hood met one of the Sheriff’s men whom he met in the forest.
When they came to the town Robin gave the man so much drink that he fell asleep.
What happened when…? Finish the sentences.
When one of the Sheriff’s men came to the forest Robin fooled him.
- When Robin came to the town with one of the Sheriff’s man Robin gave the man so much drink that he fell asleep.
- When Robin walked off the man had to pay the bill.
- When Robin and his merry men came to take part in a shooting
contest Robin had a beggar dress.
- When the Sheriff was going to bed an arrow with a letter on it suddenly whistled through the open window of his bedroom.
Things to think about.
- The Sheriff couldn’t catch Robin Hood as robber.
- The soldier didn’t know who he was talking to as he didn’t know Robin by face.
- The Sheriff’s soldier had to pay the bill as he drank very much, and Robin walked off.
- The Sheriff had to give the prize to Robin as he won the prize.